The mother of an unidentified nine year old boy has faced charges of murder and attempted murder after she allegedly drowned her five year old, and attempted to drown the nine year old on 2nd March, 2017.

However, the nine year old was rescued by a pit bull named Buddy. But instead of calling the pooch a hero, he was taken into custody.

Laura Spurway / Twitter

According to the interim general manager of the Murray River Council, Margot Stork, Buddy has now been micro-chipped and they are working to get suitable conditions to return him to his owner.

9 News

Buddy’s owner is working with the Murray River Council and will be in compliance with the Companion Animals Act.


The mother of two boys was trying to kill them in the Murray River at Moama when Buddy intervened. He saw that the nine year old was trying to fight off his mom and he immediately jumped into action. He bit the little boy when he was trying to drag him away from the woman. When she came after the boy, he bit her too.

The nine year old boy survived, but his little brother did not. Rangers took Buddy into custody until they could complete the investigation. The dogs’ owners started a Go Petition to get him back.


“We are trying to save our dog ‘Buddy’ a pit bull cross who has been seized due to awful circumstances by the council. We are hoping the council can see what this dog was trying to do and let him come home instead of punishing him for the rescue efforts he has done. Please help,” the family wrote.


The petition drew over 50,000 signatures and officials decided to finally release the dog. Murray River Council interim general manager told reporters that the dog was released because they found that Buddy was likely “acting in reasonable defense” of the child.


The grandfather of the two boys also participated in the petition. “I own a similar dog and I know he was trying to save the boys, it’s their nature when they are raised with kids. Let the ones who his actions affected decide. I have one grandson left, because this brave dog took action as required,” he said.

Buddy was microchipped and then returned to his family.

Please SHARE this with your family and friends!

What do you think?